Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Storytelling for Week 7: Yashoda's Diary

Dear diary,

The weirdest thing happened today. A beautiful woman asked to come into our house and nurse Krishna. I would usually not allow this as I am skeptical of strangers, but somehow I found myself permitting her to do so. Just after beginning to nurse him she started screaming. I rushed to relieve her of Krishna’s clench, but she died before I was able to help. Then she changed form into a giant beast whose limbs stretched every which way. I don’t really understand all of this, but I thank the gods for keeping my baby boy safe.

Dear diary,

It has been a couple weeks since I last wrote. Today I placed Krishna under Nanda’s wagon so that he might sleep in the shade. A little while later I heard a loud crash from outside. The weight of all the pots and pans in the wagon must have made the wood give out. By the time Nanda and I reached the mess I was almost in tears. I looked up to see Krishna laughing from beneath the pile of metal. I am so thankful my baby has survived another accident. The gods must really favor him.

Dear diary,

Only two days have passed since I last feared for Krishna’s life. This morning a terrible windstorm blew through our town and made a huge mess of the houses and farms. When the winds died down I realized that Krishna was no longer in the house. Once again tears began to fill my eyes. A little while later Nanda and some of the neighbors found him a mile away laughing on the chest of a dead giant. He seems to fear nothing. I’m not sure if he killed this creature too or if the dead beast was swept into the storm like Krishna and they simply landed together. Either way I am starting to think that all of this is more than him just having a knack for finding trouble. His brother isn't always doing crazy things like this. Could my baby be cursed?

Dear diary,

Three months have passed since the windstorm and I am thankful to say I have not feared for Krishna’s life since, but that doesn’t mean weird things have stopped happening. This kid is definitely special. Today I attempted to tie him up to our grinding stone with a cord after he ruined a large amount of the butter I had just made. However, I could not get the cord around his waist no matter how many lengths of it I tied together. This didn’t make any sense to me. Then, he tied the cord around himself! I just don’t even know what to say. How could he have done it when I couldn’t? Why would he do it? Then I returned to churning butter. When I looked back Krishna and the grinding stone were gone. I found him near the edge of the woods in the back yard dragging the stone across the ground. It took three horses and a dozen neighbors to move that thing into our yard. I swear if Krishna is not a god himself, then he has the blood of one running through his veins.

Dear diary,

Today my eyes were truly opened. All the questions that I have about Krishna were answered. He came clean to me and opened his mouth. When I looked inside I saw the most beautiful sights I had ever seen in my life. I saw all of the oceans and the whole universe. It was all too much to bear and I fainted. I woke up in Krishna's arms. In the end it doesn't change the way I see him. He is still just my baby boy and I love him the same way I always have.





Author's Notes:

The original story includes a lot more events and details about the childhood of Krishna than I included. It also mentions his brother Balarama a few times. The story is told from a narrator’s point of view.

I left out Balarama and took out some of the content for the purpose of keeping the story shorter. I wanted to focus on the events that would have really stuck out to Yashoda. I used the diary writing style for my version of the story because I believe this gives us the best view of what someone is thinking. I think this is because we are willing to be most open with ourselves and the point of a diary is to be able to recall events and how we felt during them as if they were happening again. I wrote Yashoda’s thoughts and reactions as if she were a normal mother today instead of a mother back in these times. Yashoda probably would not actually have been as surprised by the things in this story as I wrote her to be because these supernatural events are very common in these stories.

I chose this picture of Krishna killing Putana because it is one of the key events in the story. This is where Yashoda first sees the mystery of Krishna’s power start to emerge.


Bibliography: Shri Krishna of Dwarka and Other Stories by C. A. Kincaid (1920).





3 comments:

  1. Taler,

    This was great to read. I really enjoyed the it’s been 2 days since I last feared for his life. I kinda wish you had continued in that vein as a countdown but understand why you didn’t. I like this as a diary entry way of telling the story. It was a very fresh and inventive way to understand the characters. I really feel connected with the character because of the conflict she was feeling about her son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taler, I thought your diary was so cute! You did a really nice job on it. Your dramatic ending was perfect: “I swear if Krishna is not a god himself, then he has the blood of one running through his veins.” I can tell you really enjoy this class; your enjoyment makes you a great writer. I look forward to reading more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taler,

    I really like the diary post setting of this story, it works very well! I think the first diary entry is funny because of how calm Yashoda seems for the amount of crazy things that have happened. I think it might be a good idea to date your entries, because most people that journal like to keep a timeline on their notes. The diary posts give great details on the day-to-day life of Yashoda and the experiences and feelings that occurred that day, which is very interesting! Great work!

    ReplyDelete