Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Week 12 Storytelling: The Magic Jewel

Once upon a time a man named James was riding on a ship from India to a far off island. About half way through the journey the ship was caught in a huge storm and was crushed beneath the waves. James managed to find the door to the captain’s quarters floating in the waters among the chaos. It was the only wooden door on the ship. The captain himself was already floating on it but when James swam closer he noticed the captain had been knocked unconscious. When James tried to get on the door it sank under the weight of the two men. He pushed the captain off into the water and climbed on top of the door alone. Then he fell asleep.

James woke up to see the sun peeking out through the clouds. The waters were calm. He could see an island no bigger than large pasture about half a mile off. He paddled over to it to check for food and water. The island was covered in white sand and almost completely bare. James could see one tree at the far side of the island so he decided to go to it. After an hour of seasick stumbling, he reached the tree. He was surprised to see a pic taking a nap in the tree’s shade. His first thought was to kill the pig for food, but then he noticed a small jewel in the sand only six inches from the pig’s mouth.

He reached down and picked it up. As soon as the jewel was in his hand James began floating in the air. It now made sense how the pig had gotten here. He let out a quick holler of excitement, which woke the pig up. The pig, not seeing the jewel in the sand, began frantically searching for it. Then he noticed James floating in the air above him.

“Hey that’s my jewel! Can I please have it back?” asked the pig.

“No, I think I’ll keep it,” said James.

James decided he needed a good meal before flying to the island he had been headed to with the ship. He flew over to the tree and broke off a branch that would make a good-sized club to beat the pig to death with. Just as he did lightning struck the top of the tree and James was thrown to the ground. For a moment he was stunned and is muscles failed to move when he told them to. He watched the pig walk over and grab the jewel out of his hand with its mouth.

“You know, if you would have given it back to me when I asked, I would have given you a ride anywhere that you wanted to go” said the pig as he flew off and left James there to die.


Flying Pig from Wikipedia

Author's Note:
In the original story the man washes up on shore after the ship wrecks and he finds the jewel. He realizes its power and drops a branch of the tree on the pig. This wakes the pig up. The pig sees the man with his jewel and runs into the tree killing himself. The man then flies to three men's houses, kills each of them, and takes their magical treasures as well. He then takes over a kingdom and rules for the rest of his life.

In my version I focused on the shipwreck and the controversy with the pig on the island. I gave the pig the ability to talk so that he could ask for the jewel back. James responds with a cocky answer, which makes the reader dislike him more. I switched the roles of who ended with the jewel and who died.


Bibliography: Jataka Tales (The Magic Treasures) by H.T. Francis and E. J. Thomas (1916).





4 comments:

  1. Hey Taler!

    Great job on the story. This story is very unique in terms of being different from the Ramayana or the Mahabharata. James seemed to get very lucky to find the only floating door from the boat! I think you meant to type “pig” in part of the story, instead of “pic.” Haha I think that the end of your story is funny how the pig could have saved James’s life, but greed overtook him. This was a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved this story! You had everything from suspense to humor. I was rooting for him to survive and find land, food, etc. Unfortunately, greed got in his way. He could have had a flying pig to help him out but the jewel blinded him from the right thing to do. The picture you used was perfect. I imagine the pig scolding James before flying gracefully away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Taler,

    This is a very interesting story! I loved it. I actually looked up the original in order to see where the story came from and let me say that I can tell why it grabbed your attention. Very great read. I love stories that incorporate animals! Most of my stories have animals in them as well. The image is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, what an interesting story. I almost wished I had read the original! I saw nothing really wrong with your story, other than the fact you misspelled pig. It’s all cool thought, it happens to the best of us. I also liked the fact you changed the fate of the pig it came off way less depressing than the description of the original story.

    ReplyDelete