Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Week 4 Storytelling: Manthara's Revenge

The young Manthara was playing tag in the gardens just outside the city walls with a couple friends on a beautiful sunny day. She didn't have a worry in the world as school had just been let out for the summer, her favorite time of the year. She was "it" in a game of tag and was chasing a group of boys around when the city bells began to ring. They all stopped in their tracks. The bells only rang when something important that required the entire city's attention had happened, and that wasn't often. They ran into the main courtyard to see what the all the buzz was about. King Valarian and his son Dasharatha were standing in the middle next to a couple city guards. The guards were holding Manthara’s father.

Manthara gasped. What could this be about!? The king explained that some very valuable jewels had been stolen from his home the evening before and that a witness was claiming to have seen him do it. Manthara knew this was impossible because she had been with her father during the time the man was claiming to have seen him do this act. She ran to the front of the crowd to plead with the king. She tried to explain that this had to be a mistake, but Valarian tossed her aside. An adult man’s word was more reliable than a little girl’s. The king turned to his son and asked him what he thought should happen to the thief. He was teaching Dasharatha how to be a king. Dasharatha responded, “Thieves must be hung to make an example of." The king agreed and the deed was done. Manthara ran home and swore that one day she would get revenge on the royal family for what they had done.

She began plotting the best way to accomplish this. It would be hard to do anything because they were so well guarded. She decided that the best approach was to earn their trust so she could stay close to them and then strike when the time was right. So she earned a spot as their youngest servant. Throughout the years other servants would get old and retire until she was the royal family's longest standing servant, and certainly their most trusted.

By this time Valarian had died and Dasharatha had become king and been blessed with four sons. Dasharatha was so proud of all of his sons and loved them more than anything in the world. One son in particular, Rama, held a special place in his heart. Rama was to become the next king and this excited Dasharatha beyond words. Manthara realized this was her chance to strike. If she could ruin this passing of the crown somehow, it would break the king’s heart. She thought long and hard about how she could make this happen.

It suddenly came to her. A few years back the king had promised his wife Kaikeyi that he would grant any two of her wishes. All she had to do was convince Kaikeyi that her son should be king instead of Rama, and that banishing Rama would prevent him from attempting to take the throne. She did just that. Manthara was standing right beside Kaikeyi as she told her husband that she wished Rama be banished and her son made king. The king fell to his knees and began to weep. Suddenly Manthara felt sad, which caused her to cry as well. All these years she had imagined feeling a weight lifted off her shoulders when she finally got her revenge, but instead she felt horrible because she had learned to love the king during her time spent serving him. Never had she felt this sick in her life.



Author's Note: 

In the original story Rama is set to be king. Right before the ceremony takes place, an evil servant named Manthara convinces one of king Dasharatha’s wives that Rama does not deserve the crown. The king had promised this wife long ago that he would grant any two of her wishes. At this point she uses her wishes to banish Rama for fourteen years and make her son the new king.

Nothing about Manthara’s background is stated in the text. I wanted to show how she got to be “evil.” I actually portray her as a happy young girl that gets hurt and gets set on revenge rather than evil. I changed king Aja's name to king Valarian in my story. The name Valarian seems to demand respect if you ask me, so I thought it was a more fitting name for a king.

This image of Dasharatha’s sons is crucial to the story line. Without them Manthara never would have had a way to get back at Dasharatha. They are the reason he is vulnerable.

I used this story to show that revenge doesn’t make heal our wounds. It only brings the person that wronged us down to our level of pain. In reality the only thing that can relieve her pain is for her father to be brought back to life, but obviously that cannot happen. We often think that revenge is our best way out of suffering, completely forgetting about forgiveness. Forgiveness lets us come to terms with what has happened to us. In the long run this usually makes us feel better than getting revenge does.

Bibliography: The Divine Archer by F. J. Gould (1911).

7 comments:

  1. Hello Taler!
    Wow, this was a great story! While reading the Ramayana, I had once wondered why Manthara was so set on ruining Rama and putting Bharat on the throne. Your story is the perfect explanation. My favorite part was when she realized that it wasn't revenge she even wanted, because once she got it, she was miserable.

    Until next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting take Taler! I loved reading this side of the story and I liked how you used the theme "revenge doesn't heal our wounds." I can totally abide to that! Revenge may seem like the answer because it can be sought to be the easiest way to portray feelings but thinking with your brain is what people should really do than the heart. You are tremendous writer and I can't wait to read more from you. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taler,

    I think that you premise the story very well by using vivid imagery of her playing tag as a child on a beautiful sunny day. Wow, that would be so scary to see your father being put on trial essentially, in front of the whole city and you knew he was innocent. That must really be hard on her psyche. The hanging scene reminds me of the one in Game of Thrones (I think you know which one I am talking about). I think that Manthara was wise by realizing that trust would be the best bet in her revenge. I wonder if anyone in the kingdom made the connection that it was her father that had just been killed and now she wants to serve the king who killed him, coincidence? I think your story flowed very nicely together and it was broken up into paragraphs well to make for an easy read. Great job Taler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taler, you did a great job of creating a story for Manthara. When I first read the Ramayana, I was always curious as to why she did what she did. I like that you put a moral lesson in the end showing that revenge is not as fulfilling as one expects. As I read your story, I got vibes of the show Revenge and Game of Thrones. I want to say that the name Valarian is one from Game of Thrones. Also, the show revenge is quite simple: one woman seeks revenge for her father's death.

    The way you set up the beginning with the death of Manthara's father was well-done. I could clearly see why she would have been so hurt by the King. I think if you wanted to extend this story more, then you could add more detail about how she worked her way into the family to get their trust. Other than that, everything looks and flows well.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taler,

    I was initially confused with your story, as I did not remember who Manthara was. She was such a side character in the Ramayana and it has been a few weeks since I read it, perhaps a little reminder at the beginning of who she is would have been helpful. Even perhaps starting off with your author's note?

    Anyways, aside from any initial confusion, I loved what you did with her backstory. You gave her a relatable motivation to despise the royal family, and you did it in a heart-wrenching way. One thing though: wasn't Manthara a hunchback or otherwise physically deformed or something? I feel like you could have implicated this somewhere in the backstory to pull even further on our heartstrings.

    I also feel like the ending was rushed. The conclusion, where Manthara realizes the hollowness of her revenge, is the moral resonance point of the story, and yet it feels entirely glossed over. Spend an extra sentence or two dwelling on her epiphany or her feelings, and I think it could really tie the whole thing together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I was reading your story it reminded me of similar ideas that I had while writing my own portfolio entry. The backstory that you created for Manthara was very believable. I believe that the fate of her father fit nicely into the idea of people like Manthara being second class citizens without influence compared to the royalty.
    I was curious to know why the theme of revenge was so important for you to express in this story. Was this the most striking concept that stood out to you while reading the original text. While reading the Ramayana I also found it to be peculiar that Manthara's actions do not seem to be explained or justified at any point in the text. She is also not mentioned after influencing the queen.
    Nonetheless I enjoyed your story and I look forward to your future entries. Will it be another revenge plot?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taler,
    I really enjoyed reading your story. It is very descriptive and very well written out. I also wanted to add how much I am loving your blog background! I remember reading this story where the servant tries to convince that Rama cannot be a good king. You have turned this story into a great read with a very important message. I not only love the ending of the story but the fact that I believe in the message you are trying to portrait which made this read even more interesting, It is true that revenge does no heal our wounds. Revenge is never the best way out of suffering. It in fact brings us down to the level of people who are always doing wrong in the society. I really like how you implemented this concept in this story. I could have never thought of that but it really makes sense to me now.
    A job well done! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete